( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Ted Baghurst
|24||Mussels, fresh green-lipped|
|3 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1 tsp||Fresh rosemary, finely chopped|
|2||Red chillies, or 3 dried or 1 fresh red chilli, diced|
|½ cup||White wine|
|1 can||Diced tomato, 400g|
|400 g||Tomato puree, (1 tin)|
|12||Kalamata olives, de-stoned|
|1 to taste||Freshly ground black pepper|
- Method: Clean mussels and pull the beards off.
- Add a splash of olive oil to a heavy bottomed pot and gently fry onion and garlic.
- Turn up the heat and add mussels, tins of tomatoes, wine, rosemary and chili.
- Cook on high with the lid on until mussels have opened and give the pot a shake.
- Add the cream and swirl, so that the cream doesn’t curdle.
- Add olives and pepper.
- Serve in a large deep bowl, with some warm crusty bread and a fresh green salad of rocket, baby spinach and parmesan shavings, topped with your favourite dressing.
Note: the chillies don’t make this dish hot, they just bring out the flavour. If you like it hot, you know what to do.