Preparing the Perfect Roast Meal
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
For something different, try this juicy spiced rack of venison. Venison is best served rare, so do not overcook it.
Tips for making great great gravy:
- Remove the meat from the roasting dish, then return the pan to a gentle stovetop heat. Use a wooden spoon to dislodge the baked-on bits from the bottom of the pan. A spoonful of wine or stock will help dissolve these morsels.
- Then stir in a little flour and allow it to turn golden in the fat drippings.
- Add stock or wine or the water the veges have been cooked in, then continue stirring until the gravy is smooth.
- If the gravy needs a little added colouring, use balsamic vinegar, Vegemite or a few drops of soy sauce.
- Other flavoursome additions could be fresh chopped herbs, fi nely sliced mushrooms, pomegranate molasses, the juice and zest of an orange or a spoonful of mustard.
- Always ensure the serving jug is hot before pouring the gravy into it.
Spicy Venison Rack
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Venison, rack farm-raised|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil, (Marinade)|
|2 Tbsp||Shaoxing wine, (Marinade) cooking wine|
|2 Tbsp||Hoisin sauce, (Marinade)|
|1 Tbsp||Freshly ground black pepper, (Marinade)|
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce, (Marinade)|
|2||Spring onions, finely sliced|
|1||Fresh ginger, small piece, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1||Lemon, grated rind and juice|
|2 Tbsp||Sesame oil|
|4 Tbsp||Olive oil|
Roasted Crshed Potatoes
Spicy Venison Rack:
- Wipe the venison rack dry, then place in a shallow dish.
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together, then pour over the meat, coating well.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour. Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients. Keep aside. Preheat the oven to 200 degC.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan until smoking hot, then quickly sear the venison on all sides to brown it.
- Put the venison into an oven dish and place it in the oven.
- After about 15-20 minutes, when the meat is starting to firm (test by pressing the surface with your fingers – it should feel slightly spongy).
- Remove it from the oven, place on a carving board and cover loosely with foil.
- Leave the meat to rest for at least 10 minutes, then carve into generous chops and serve with sliced and sautéed cabbage and roasted crushed potatoes.
- Pour the dressing over the accompanying cabbage and the venison. Sliced into chops, it serves 6.
Roasted Crushed Potatoes:
- Peel the potatoes, then cut into even chunks and place in a saucepan covered with water.
- Add salt, then bring to a boil and simmer for 12 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200 degC and place a medium roasting pan in it to heat.
- Add the oil and butter, mixing well as it melts.
- Toss the potatoes into the pan, then lightly crush with a fork, pressing gently, as you want the potatoes to remain whole but with rugged edges.
- Ensure the potatoes are completely coated in the buttery oil, then grind over some black pepper.
- Place the potatoes in the oven, turn the heat to 190 degC and roast for an hour or until crunchy and golden. Serve at once. Serves 6-8.