Potato, taleggio and thyme pies
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
A satisfying savoury vegetarian pie, the perfect food for those cold winter days. If you cannot find taleggio, use another semi-soft cheese that has good flavour, such as fontina or raclette. A ripe Brie or gruyere could be substituted but won't melt quite as well as taleggio. Mozzarella would be too bland here.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Cover potatoes with water, bring to the boil and cook for 6-7 minutes until soft but not breaking apart. Drain.
- Cut out pastry to form 4 circles - 2 x 23cm and 2 x 20cm.
- On an oiled oven tray (or use baking paper), place the smaller rounds. Slightly overlap the potato slices, leaving an edge to seal the pie.
- Alternate the potato with cheese, thyme and seasonings.
- Cut a 4cm circle from the centre of the second pastry circle. Lay over the potatoes and seal the edges.
- Brush pie with the beaten egg and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, pour cream into the hole then continue baking for a further 15 minutes.