Golden kumara and corn fritters with balsamic tomatoes and breakfast sausages
( SERVES 6 )
Try the crunchy fritters with smoked salmon, avocado, and a drizzle of aioli.
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|410 g||Corn kernels, (1 tin) drained|
|2 cups||Kumara, grated|
|¼ cup||Rice bran oil, or frying oil, plus 2 tbsp for saute|
|1 to taste||Sea salt and cracked black pepper|
|12||Sausages, small breakfast sausages|
|12||Vine ripened tomatoes, small, halved|
|1 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|¼ cup||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 to garnish||Salad greens, or baby spinach|
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the egg, then add spices, flour, baking powder, corn and kumara. Mix together.
- Heat a medium frying pan and add 2-3 tablespoons of the rice bran oil.
- Add large tablespoons of the mixture to the pan and flatten out with the back of the spoon.
- Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn until both sides are golden.
- Continue with remaining oil and mixture. Keep warm.
- In a separate pan, heat 1 cup of water and add the sausages.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes to precook, then drain off any excess water.
- Add oil to the pan with the tomato halves and fry until the sausages are golden and tomatoes softened.
- Sprinkle over sugar and the balsamic vinegar and let caramelise.
- Arrange plates with corn fritters and top with a couple of sausages and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle over crumbled feta and garnish with greens.