Apple, quince paste and vanilla pies
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Over a low heat, melt the butter with the sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the apple and lemon.
- Split open the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds into the saucepan. Stir the apple mixture then cover and let apples soften over a low heat for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking, let cool. Preheat oven to 200C.
- Grease small pie tins or use ramekins or a large muffin tray. Cut circles of pastry to fit with smaller circles for the lids.
- Line the tins with pastry, spoon in the cooled apple mixture, then top each with some quince paste. Put the lids on the pies, seal the edges, then brush with a little of the lightly beaten egg.
- Make a small cut in the top of each pie, then sprinkle with vanilla sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve with softly whipped cream.