Spice-scented carrot cake with crumble topping
( SERVES 8 )
Think of carrot cake laced with a delicate blend of spices. This one is perfect for a mid-morning pick-me-up and has a wonderful crumbly topping
|225 g||Flour, white or wholemeal spelt, sifted|
|30 g||Oat bran|
|1 tsp||Allspice, ground|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|½ tsp||Bicarbonate soda|
|1 pinch||Salt, large|
|180 g||Carrots, coarsely grated|
|60 g||Unsalted butter, melted and cooled a little|
|225 g||Runny honey|
|225 g||Natural yoghurt, Greek-style|
|1||Free-range egg, large|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Grease and flour a 22cm springform cake tin.
- Start by mixing all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then add the grated carrots.
- In a separate bowl, mix the honey, butter, yogurt and egg.
- Beat well with an electric hand mixer until thoroughly combined and then gently fold this wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Scrape into the prepared cake tin and level the top with the back of a spoon or a palette knife.
- To make the crumble topping: put the flour and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Rub in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the salt, hemp seeds and flax seeds, mix, then sprinkle the topping onto the cake mix, pressing in a little.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 35–40 minutes, until the top is golden and you start to smell a nutty aroma.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.