Pea soup with parmesan croutons and poached egg
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|2 slices||Streaky bacon, diced (optional)|
|3 cups||Vegetable stock, or chicken stock|
|800 g||Frozen peas|
|3 Tbsp||Mint leaves, sliced|
|⅓ cup||Sour cream|
Parmesan croutons and poached egg
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and bacon (if using) until onion is soft, 4-5 minutes. Add stock, peas and mint. Bring to the boil and simmer until peas are heated through, about 10 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make the parmesan croutons. Place bread cubes on an oven tray and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over grated parmesan. Toss together, season with salt and bake for 10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Add sour cream to soup and blend with a stick blender or in a food processor, until soup is smooth (or leave it slightly chunky if you prefer). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To poach eggs, bring a large frying pan !illed with water to a gentle boil. Carefully crack in each egg and poach for 1-2 minutes or until whites are just set, but yolks are still slightly runny (or leave longer if you prefer a firmer yolk).
- To serve, ladle soup into each bowl, dollop with a little sour cream, scatter over croutons, and place a poached egg in the centre of the soup.