Macaroni cheese with bacon lardons
Photo by Tamara West
Rich, hearty family fare that’s a cinch to cook. The cream makes it luscious but you can use all milk if you prefer.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Lightly grease a medium-sized oven-proof dish.
- Lightly pan fry bacon lardons and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni elbows in lightly salted boiling water according to the instructions on the packet, or until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water to arrest the cooking, and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat. Stir in the flour to form a roux. Allow roux to bubble gently, stirring continuously until lightly golden. Remove from the heat, add milk and cream to the roux, and stir or whisk until well combined.
- Return to the heat and stir continuously until the sauce is shiny and thick enough to coat the back of the wooden spoon. Remove from the heat, add the grated cheese and bacon lardons.
- Stir cooked macaroni elbows through the sauce and season to taste with salt. Spoon into the dish.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and extra grated cheese and sprinkle over the macaroni cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with your favourite sauce or chutney.