Grapefruit and almond cake
I took Claudia Roden’s much-loved recipe for orange and almond cake and used grapefruit instead of oranges, with huge success. The grapefruit gave the cake a very appealing bitter-sweet flavour. It made a particularly good dessert after a hefty roast dinner because I felt the goodness of the grapefruit was still getting through — and the house smelt amazing while the grapefruit were boiling.
This cake is dairy and gluten free if you use gluten-free baking powder.
- Wash the grapefruit and simmer them, unpeeled, in water to cover for 2 hours. Cool, cut them open and remove the seeds. Puree the grapefruit in a food processor.
- Heat the oven to 170C fan-bake.
- Whizz the eggs into the grapefruit, then add the almonds, sugar and baking powder and whizz until everything is mixed together.
- Pour into a greased and lined cake tin, preferably with a removable base.
- Bake for one hour, or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin before turning out.
- Serve with a dusting of icing sugar and whipped cream or yoghurt on the side.