Bacon and leek flan with mustard
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
|140 g||Butter, chilled, diced|
|3 Tbsp||Water, chilled, up to 4 tbsp|
- To make the pastry, place the flour and salt in the food processor.
- Add the butter and pulse a few times so it resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and half the water, then pulse again until the mixture resembles large crumbs or beads. If it is still a bit dry, add more water.
- Tip the crumbs out onto the bench and draw the pastry into a ball.
- Rest it for about 15 minutes, then roll it out to fit a 20-22cm flan tin.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Cook the bacon in its own fat in a frying pan over a low heat.
- Add the butter. Once it has melted, add the leek and cook until soft and golden. Leave to cool a little off the heat.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, then add the cream, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well, then add the leek and bacon.
- Spread the mustard over the base of the flan.
- Gently pour in the filling, then bake the tart for 40-45 minutes or until the filling is a pale gold and the centre is just set but still a bit soft.
- Cool a little before removing the flan ring, then serve warm.