Classic apple flan
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- To make the pastry, sieve the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl, then rub in the butter.
- Add just enough water to allow you to pull the pastry together.
- Form the mixture into a ball and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry, then line a 20cm flan tin so the pastry comes up to just over the top edge.
- Refrigerate while you make the filling.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and soft. Add the eggs and beat well.
- Add the essence, ground almonds and flour, then stir well to ensure there are no lumps.
- Spoon this mixture into the pastry case and arrange the apple slices in overlapping circles on top.
- Bake the flan for 30-40 minutes until the frangipane filling is set.
- Cool slightly, then glaze the top with melted apricot jam.
- Serve with whipped cream or crème anglaise.