Little strawberry and almond pastry cakes
( SERVES 24 )
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cut pastry into 7cm circles using a cutter or glass, and press into the base of 2 patty pans or muffin tins. Place ½ teaspoon jam into each pastry-lined hole.
- Chill the trays until ready to bake. Combine the melted butter and vanilla paste.
- Lightly whisk egg whites with a fork until just broken up and bubbly. Add flour, icing sugar and ground almonds to the whites, then mix all together with the butter mixture.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of mixture over the jam and pastry and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until puffed and golden.