Apple and berry tea cake
Always moist, thanks to the apple and berries, this cake is a beauty. It can be enjoyed with a cup of tea, but is equally scrumptious served warm with custard for dessert.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line the base of a 23cm springform tin and lightly grease the sides.
- Using an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar for 4-5 minutes until fluffy and pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Fold in sour cream and sift over flour and baking powder.
- Mix gently until combined. Spoon two thirds of the cake batter into the lined tin and smooth.
- Arrange three quarters of the apple slices over the batter and sprinkle with half the berries.
- Spoon over the remaining cake batter and gently spread around to cover the apple and berries.
- Decorate the top layer of the cake with the remaining apple and berries and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown, or an inserted skewer is removed cleanly from the centre of the cake.