Seafood soup (Soupe de poisson)
Photo by Doug Sherring
|1 can||Chopped tomatoes, 400g, in juice|
|500 ml||Fish stock|
|1 pinch||Saffron threads, soaked in a tablespoon of hot water for 30 mins|
|500 g||Hapuka fillets, monkfish or tuna, cut into 3cm dice|
|16||Raw prawn cutlets, tails on|
|100 g||Salmon, fresh|
|100 g||Squid, cut into rings|
|8||Mussels, in their shells|
|1||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley|
|1 to garnish||Fennel fronds|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- In a large saucepan combine the fish stock, tomatoes and juice, saffron and the water it soaked in, orange zest and bay leaf.
- Simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and season with black pepper and salt if needed.
- Bring the soup base back up to a good heat, just below boiling.
- Add the mussels and then the other fish ingredients. The mussels will open (discard any which do not open) cook until the other fishy bits have poached in the hot liquid.
- Ladle into soup bowls , dividing up the ingredients so each bowl gets some of everything.
- Garnish with some sprigs of parsley and fennel.