Peppercorn and herb butter with steak
Liven up some simple butter with just a couple of ingredients. This is also great tossed through pasta or melted over green veges. Make a batch and freeze it - it will last for months.
- Put the peppercorns into a bowl with butter, herbs and a good pinch of salt. Mix well, then spoon onto a piece of greaseproof or baking paper.
- Roll up into a log shape in the paper and twist each end together to encase the butter. Put in the freezer to firm up slightly.
- Put the steaks into a dish and rub in the oil.
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat and fry the steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
- Remove butter from the freezer and slice into discs.
- Top the hottest side of each steak with the butter and serve with a salad.