( SERVES 4 )
This is the classic thin-crust pizza. If you don’t have a pizza oven, try cooking on a pizza stone on your barbecue, with the heat cranked up as hot as it will go...really high temperature is the key to pizza success! Making your own dough is quick and easy – and provides you with a healthier base.
Wholemeal pizza dough
- Sift together white and wholemeal flours and salt, and leave in a warm place.
- Gently heat milk and water to blood temperature, then add yeast and sugar.
- Leave in a warm place for yeast to activate and bubble.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry and mix to form a dough. Turn out onto a board and knead by hand, or in a mixer, until smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and leave in a warm place to double in size.
- Knead again and rest for 20 minutes before using.
- Sprinkle flour onto a board. Divide dough in half and roll out as thinly as possible into 2 pizza bases.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place baking trays in oven to heat.
- Spread tomato sauce on both bases and top with mozzarella. Place on hot trays.
- Bake in preheated oven until base is crisp and lightly browned.
- Arrange basil on top and serve.