Slow cooked Chinese-style BBQ pork with Asian salad
Slow cooking doesn’t have to be heavy and hearty. Try this fragrant, super-easy pork dish with steamed rice and a colourful fresh salad on the side. This dish can also be made in the oven.
- If using an oven, preheat to 160C.
- Arrange onion and capsicum in the base of the slow cooker or casserole dish, and place pork fillets side by side on top.
- In a jug, mix together star anise, char siu sauce, chicken stock, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and chilli.
- Pour stock mixture over the pork and cook, covered, on low for 4 hours, high for 3 hours, or in the oven for 2 hours 45 minutes.
- For salad, toss together the coriander leaves, cucumber ribbons, red onion and reserved capsicum.
- Season with lime juice and 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- Serve pork over rice with plenty of sauce. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve Asian salad on the side.
For a nice glaze, brush 2-3 tablespoons of extra char siu sauce over the exposed pork while cooking. This will set and become sticky.