Reader recipe: Gael’s chicken braised in lemon, garlic and rosemary
Photo by Tamara West
Rosie Bosworth was the winner of our French-inspired reader recipe competition. We made Rosie’s dish and agreed with all she said about it, which was: “This recipe is one I learnt from my amazing mum — an avid Francophile. Over the years growing up I would watch her cook this and salivate every time we had it as kids — and now I recreate it for my own friends and family. It is simply delicious, hearty, fresh and zesty all at the same time and we love it over a glass of good French wine and on a cold winters night."
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1½ kgs||Chicken pieces, bone-in (thighs and drumsticks make for more flavour)|
|4 cloves||Garlic, crushed or chopped|
|2||Red chillies, small, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh rosemary|
|½ cup||White wine, good quality|
|2 cups||Orzo, pasta|
|2 Tbsp||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped|
|1||Lemon, zested, or peel cut in strips|
|½ cup||Lemon juice|
|½ cup||Chicken stock|
|1||Salt, to season|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|3 handfuls||Green beans, (can substitute with broccoli if in season)|
|1||Almonds, toasted, silvered, (as many as you like)|
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer and cook over medium heat until browned. Turn the chicken occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the garlic, rosemary, chilli and wine. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- During the last 15 minutes of simmering bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and add 2 cups of orzo. Cook for 5 minutes or until al dente. Drain and mix through 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, chopped parsley and a few decent grinds of black pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm. Scoop excess fat from the top of the pan juices. Add the lemon peel, juice and stock. Bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes. Pour over the chicken pieces and a bed of orzo. Serve with green beans on the side.
- For the beans, wash and cut the tips off and steam for 3 minutes or until crunchy, yet cooked. Toss through the lemon juice and a generous helping of slivered almonds.
For more winning reader recipes, go to this collection.