French onion soup
Photo by Babiche Martens
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add onions, garlic, bay leaves and thyme.
- On a low heat, soften onions and cook until they start to caramelise; this will take 20-25 minutes.
- If they start sticking to the bottom of the pan, add a small amount of water.
- Add the stock and wine, then simmer for 15 minutes until the flavours infuse. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, slice the baguette, place on an oven tray and top with gruyere. Grill until the cheese is bubbling.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with cheesy croutons.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve extra croutons on the side.