Country meatloaf with smoky tomato sauce
|350 g||Pork mince|
|400 g||Beef mince|
|1||Onion, very finely diced|
|450 g||Sausage meat|
|1 clove||Crushed garlic|
|1||Egg, lightly beaten|
|½ cup||Panko breadcrumbs|
|1 tsp||Dry mixed herbs|
|1 to taste||Cracked black pepper|
|3||Bay leaves, or 4|
|4 pieces||Streaky bacon|
|1 can||Whole peeled tomatoes, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|2 Tbsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|1 to serve||Crusty bread|
|1 to serve||Green salad|
- If using an oven, preheat to 160C.
- In a large bowl, combine pork and beef mince, sausage meat, onion, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and pepper and mix together, using your hands, until well blended.
- Shape into a large loaf and wrap with bacon slices to hold the shape, sliding the bay leaves under the bacon.
- Mix the tinned tomatoes, water, paprika, sugar and Worcestershire in the base of your slow cooker or casserole dish.
- Place the bacon-wrapped loaf in the centre.
- Cook covered for 5 hours 30 minutes on low, 3 hours on high, or in the oven for 2 hours 30 minutes.