Moroccan Roast Lamb
The small amount of saffron infuses the meat with amazing flavour.
|1½ kgs||Leg of lamb|
|1 tsp||White pepper|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|½ tsp||Saffron threads, crushed|
|¼ tsp||Ground turmeric|
|1 Tbsp||Orange, finely grated rind|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC.
- Score skin of the lamb as for a ham. With the point of a small sharp knife, make 6-8 slits in the flesh.
- Combine butter, spices, orange rind and olive oil. Spread mixture over the lamb, pushing it into slits.
- Place in a roasting pan. Add 1 cup water. Roast for 35 minutes per 500g.
- Bake potatoes in the oven at the same time. Rub with butter or table spread, then place in the oven for 1 & 1/4 hours.
- A gravy can be made with pan juices to which a little orange juice has been added.