Peppered Venison with German-Style Red Cabbage
German-style red cabbage
|2 cups||Red wine|
|4||Black peppercorns, whole|
|½ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 to taste||Salt|
|1||Orange, rind & juice|
|4 cups||Red cabbages, shredded|
- To prepare cabbage, heat sugar in a small heavy saucepan on medium heat, until it caramelises.
- Add red wine and stir to dissolve caramel. Add remaining ingredients except cabbage. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Place cabbage in a bowl and pour hot marinade on top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC.
- Season venison roast with black pepper, pressing in well. Heat oil in a heavy frying pan suitable for the oven.
- Sear venison for 5 minutes ensuring all sides are browned.
- Place in oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove, cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
- Return cabbage to room temperature before serving. The marinade can be drained, warmed through and served as a sauce with the meat.
- Great accompanied with mustard and boiled potatoes tossed in butter, chopped fresh herbs and black pepper.