French-Style Roast Pork with Tarragon Cream
( SERVES 8 )
Ensure the skin is finely scored. A boned and rolled shoulder of pork would also suit. Make the sauce ahead and reheat before serving.
|2½ kgs||Pork, boned, rolled leg|
|3||Garlic cloves, large, slivered|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Make several slits in pork flesh. Insert slivered garlic.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and rub into skin.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight to allow skin to dry out.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Remove meat from fridge and return to room temperature.
- Place in a roasting pan. Add 1 cup of water.
- Cook for 10 minutes then reduce temperature to 160 degC. Roast for 40 minutes per 500g.
- Meanwhile, melt butter on medium-low heat. Saute shallot until very soft.
- Stir in flour and cook for 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in chicken stock, stirring until thickened.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Whisk in cream, tarragon and mustard. Simmer for 5 minutes.