Apple brown betty
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
You have probably guessed by the name that this is not a dinner party dessert but a weekday standby. The vanilla custard is a must.
- Heat the oven to 190C.
- Butter a 4-cup capacity oven proof dish.
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut the slices into 4.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Layer the bread and butter with the sliced apples, lemon zest, juice and maple or golden syrup in the prepared oven proof dish, finishing with sliced apples and a spoonful of syrup.
- Cover the dish with a piece of baking paper and place in the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes or until the apples are just soft.
- For an optional glazed finish — remove apple brown betty from the oven, remove baking paper and dredge the top of the apples with caster sugar.
- Turn the oven to grill. Return apple brown betty to the oven and grill until the apples take on colour.
- Serve hot with vanilla custard, vanilla whipped cream or ice cream.