Apple Brown Betty
Photo by Tamara West
You have probably guessed by the name that this is not a dinner party dessert but a weekday standby. The vanilla custard is a must.
- Heat the oven to 190C. Butter a 4-cup capacity oven proof dish.
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut the slices into 4. Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Layer the bread and butter with the sliced apples, lemon zest, juice and maple or golden syrup in the prepared oven proof dish, finishing with sliced apples and a spoonful of syrup.
- Cover the dish with a piece of baking paper and place in the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes or until the apples are just soft.
- For an optional glazed finish, remove Apple Brown Betty from the oven, remove baking paper and dredge the top of the apples with caster sugar.
- Turn the oven to grill. Return Apple Brown Betty to the oven and grill until the apples take on colour. Serve hot with vanilla custard, vanilla whipped cream or ice cream.