Rich chocolate tarts
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Indulgent treats for days when only dessert will do.
|200 g||Dark chocolate, broken into pieces|
|1 tsp||Espresso coffee|
|2 Tbsp||Cocoa powder, for dusting|
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- To make the pastry, place the flour, sugar, butter and cocoa in a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and mix to form a ball of dough. Divide the dough into six, then press each piece into a 9cm tart tin.
- Prick with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Blind bake the tart cases for 10-15 minutes until cooked through. Cool.
- To make the filling, heat the cream until just bubbling.
- Pour over the chocolate, add the coffee, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into the cooled tart cases and keep in a cool place until needed.
- To make the praline, bring the water and sugar to the boil in a small pot, and continue boiling for 8-10 minutes until it is a rich caramel colour, being careful not to burn it.
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray lined with paper. Pour the caramel over the nuts and allow to cool.
- Pulse the praline in a blender to create coarse pieces.
- Before serving, dust the tarts with extra cocoa and a sprinkling of praline.
- A dollop of cream is another delicious addition.