Photo by Babiche Martens
Indulgent treats for days when only dessert will do.
- Line a 2 litre pudding bowl with cling film, leaving a few centimetres hanging over the side.
- Soften the ice cream, then layer one flavour over the other, making two or three layers.
- Leave enough room for the cake to fit level with the top of the bowl.
- Slice the cake into a circle so as to fit just inside the bowl on top of the ice cream.
- Cover the sponge with the excess cling film and refreeze.
- Just before serving, make the meringue by beating egg whites with vanilla until stiff, then slowly add the sugar and cream of tartar.
- Fold through the almonds. Invert the ice cream and cake onto a baking tray and remove the cling film.
- Smother the entire pudding with the meringue, using the back of a spoon to swirl it into peaks.
- Return the dessert to the freezer until ready to bake.
- Heat the oven to 220C and bake the dessert for 5 minutes until golden.
- Alternatively, use a blowtorch to brown the meringue. Serve immediately.