Spring salad of apple, celery, walnuts and blue cheese
Apples and pears are best eaten raw, but they are also perfect for cooking.
|75 g||Walnuts, shelled|
|1 cup||Watercress, (baby watercress)|
|2 cups||Salad leaves, (mesclun, baby spinach)|
|3||Celery stalks, (inner pale stalk and leaves)|
|2||Red apples, (mahana red)|
|2||Lemons, for juice|
|50 g||Blue cheese, (Whitestone Windsor Blue) crumbled|
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Place the walnuts on a tray and toast in the oven for about 7 minutes. Cool.
- Wash and dry all the leaves and watercress after picking over and removing any thick stalks.
- Place in a serving bowl. Cut off the celery leaves and chop roughly.
- Cut the celery stalks into thin batons. Place in the bowl with the leaves.
- Core the apples, slice them thinly, then toss with the lemon juice.
- Add the apple, walnuts and blue cheese to the salad leaves.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and drizzle over the salad, tossing lightly.
- Serve at once with steak or as an entrée.