Fried fish with rosemary
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
Use blue cod, monk fish, snapper or hapuka - any fish that will not flake with a bit of handling will do the trick.
- Cut white fish into chunky, bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with salt and dust with flour.
- Fry in hot olive oil and drain. Take the fish out of the pan and keep warm.
- Add a few cloves of finely chopped garlic and a teaspoon of fresh or dried rosemary spikes to the oil in the pan and sprinkle in a tablespoon of flour, stirring so it doesn't go lumpy (you don't need to cook the flour, this is not a roux base).
- Remove from the heat and add ¼ cup white wine and ¼ cup of white wine vinegar.
- Return to the heat and stir, incorporating all the pan scrapings and nice bits.
- To serve, pour the sauce over the fish and serve hot or cold.