( SERVES 4 )
This chicken burger is delicious and the use of tzatiki makes it a healthy option especially if you use lean chicken. To make it easier, buy nice burger buns and add in some lovely relish and seasonal salad. We recommend you smoke the chicken for these patties to give it an amazing flavour, or cook it on an open flame on the barbecue.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|130 ml||Water, warm|
|8 g||Fresh yeast|
|200 g||Wholemeal flour|
|100 g||Flour, white|
|100 g||Kumara, peeled, roasted and mashed|
Tzatziki & assembley
|2 tsp||Mint, chopped|
|½||Telegraph cucumber, deseeded and cut into matchsticks|
|4 Tbsp||Plain unsweetened yoghurt|
|½ tsp||Lemon juice|
|4 Tbsp||Pickle, aubergine pickle (or chutney of your choice)|
|¼ cup||Alfalfa sprouts|
|4 Tbsp||Tomato sauce|
- Brush chicken thighs with mustard. Cover and leave in refrigerator for about 15 minutes to allow flavours to infuse.
- Place some untreated sawdust in a heavy-based pan, then place a rack on top of the pan.
- Put chicken on the rack and cover pan with aluminium foil and then a lid.
- Place pan on element, turn heat to high and leave until smoke appears. Then turn off heat and leave for 8 minutes.
- Heat a ridged pan to hot. Cook smoked chicken for 2 to 3 minutes each side. Remove and cool.
- Mix all ingredients together - telegraph cucumber, chopped mint, plain unsweetened yoghurt & lemon juice.
- Slice buns in half and spread base with pickle.
- Slice each chicken thigh in half on the diagonal and place on pickle.
- Add a dollop of tzatziki, then finish with alfalfa sprouts, tomato sauce and bun top.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place warm water, olive oil, sugar and salt in a warm bowl and stir to dissolve sugar. Sprinkle yeast over mixture and continue stirring to blend in yeast.
- Stir in wholemeal flour and half the white flour, or sufficient to make a thick batter. Beat until smooth. Add kumara and remaining flour and mix to form a dough.
- Turn out onto a board and knead for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Place dough in a bowl sprayed with oil and turn over to coat all sides. Cover with plastic film and eave to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- After dough has risen, punch down, knead again and form dough into 4 buns. Leave to double in size.
- Place buns on a baking tray. Bake for about 12 minutes.