Spiced red cabbage with salted almonds
Turn this rather humble vegetable into a star with this quick recipe. Ideal as a side for chargrilled beef steaks, ham steaks or roasts.
- Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan and saute onion and caraway 2-3 minutes on a gentle heat until onion is softened.
- Add red cabbage, wine and vinegar. Simmer 15-20 minutes until soft and wilted.
- Add sugar, water and zest and cook a further 10 minutes until syrupy and tender.
- For salted almonds, toss them in oil, salt and thyme in a pan until toasted and fragrant.
- Tip: Adding the wine and vinegar before the sugar sets the colour.
- Without some acid content, red cabbage will turn blue when cooked.