Spicy orange roast poussin
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the shallots, garlic, chillies, turmeric, ginger, lime, oil and orange zest in a blender, and pulse until you have a chunky paste.
- Heat a small frying pan and fry the paste for 2 or 3 minutes until fragrant. Cool.
- Wash and dry the poussin inside and out, then place them on a sheet of baking paper in an oven dish.
- Smother the paste all over the birds and season them with salt and pepper.
- Pour the orange juice into the dish. Spray with a little extra oil, and cover tightly with tinfoil.
- Place in the hot oven and cook for 25 minutes, then remove the tinfoil.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.