Winter roast vegetables with ginger and nutmeg
( SERVES 6 )
Colourful and fragrant, these easy roast veges will feed the masses and take care of themselves. Blanching the leeks and beans first will help them keep their colour. Wrapping the beets in foil will prevent them from drying out and will prevent their colour from bleeding over the other vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cut pumpkin, kumara, potatoes, onions and yams into even-sized pieces and combine in a large bowl.
- Combine oil, ginger, garlic, nutmeg, salt and honey and drizzle half over the prepared vegetables and toss together.
- Combine baby beets with a little of the flavoured oil and wrap loosely in foil.
- Arrange the pumpkin mixture on a large lined baking tray, leaving a little space for the beet parcel.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- Add leeks and beans and drizzle over any remaining flavoured oil.
- Cook a further 10-15 minutes until all is tender.
Tip: Blanching the leeks and beans first will help them keep their colour. Also wrapping beets in foil prevents them drying out and keeps the colour from bleeding