Christmas pate with cranberry and apple jelly
This chicken liver pate can be made ahead of time, stored in jars or ramekins and then topped with a festive jelly.
|1||Garlic clove, sliced|
|3 pieces||Streaky bacon, finely chopped|
|350 g||Chicken livers, rinsed and well drained|
|½ tsp||Cracked black pepper|
- Heat butter in a frying pan and saute the diced onion, garlic and bacon for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until onion is soft and bacon lightly golden.
- Add chicken livers and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until plumped up and just browned.
- Add brandy and pepper and cook a further minute, then add cream and toss to combine. Remove from heat.
- Using a food processor, puree the liver mixture until fine then push through a sieve.
- Taste for seasoning and spoon into serving ramekins or jars. Cool for 10 minutes, then chill.
- For the jelly, combine the cranberry sauce, dried cranberries and apple juice and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatine over the water and let it swell for 2 minutes, then add into the hot cranberries and stir until dissolved.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before spooning on top of the pâté.
- Chill and allow to set for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with toasted brioche fingers, sourdough or crackers of your choice.