Caramelised rhubarb, apple and walnut tart
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
|2||Apples, peeled and cored|
|1 sheet||Puff pastry, pre-rolled|
|100 g||Cream cheese|
|4 Tbsp||Brown sugar, (dark)|
|4 Tbsp||Redcurrant jelly, for glazing|
Rhubarb Compote with Pomegranate Syrup and Giner
- For the Tart: Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Ease the puff pastry into a rectangular 12cm x 30cm tin or a 22cm round loose-bottomed tart tin.
- Quarter the apples and cut each piece into 4-5 slices. Slice the rhubarb neatly.
- Spread the cream cheese over the pastry and sprinkle with the lemon zest.
- Arrange the apple and rhubarb slices in neat rows and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the fruit is soft and slightly caramelised and the pastry golden and puffed.
- Melt the jelly, then use a pastry brush to paint a glaze over the fruit as it cools.
- Serve a thin slice of tart with a little of the rhubarb fool and the compote.
- Rhubarb Fool: Slice the rhubarb and place in a saucepan with the sugar and water.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook gently for 10 minutes. It will become purée-like.
- Cool, then add the rosewater. Whip the cream, and fold the rhubarb through it. Chill.
- For the Compote: Slice the rhubarb neatly and place in a saucepan with the sugar and water.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook gently for 5 minutes until soft.
- As it cools, stir through the syrup and ginger. Refrigerate until needed.
Tip: This compote is also delicious served over vanilla icecream.