Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Cut the beef into small cubes and place in a heavy cast-iron casserole with the onion and water.
- Bring to a gentle simmer on top of the stove, then cover with a tight-fitting heatproof lid and cook in the oven for 3 hours.
- Once the meat is tender and falling to pieces, let it cool slightly.
- Then purée in a liquidiser with all the juices, the onion slices, the anchovy fillets, the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt the clarified butter and add to the paste, reserving 1-2 tablespoons.
- Pack the paste into small ramekins or jars and cover the top with clarified butter to form an airtight seal.
- Refrigerate until needed. Serve with thin crisp toast and pickles as a starter or appetiser.