Whole fig jam
- Wash the figs and place in a saucepan with a cup of water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Take off the heat and stir the sugar in.
- Slice the ginger thickly and add to the pan with the lemon juice. Return to the heat.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, bring the figs to the boil and boil rapidly for 10-15 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Once the jam has become syrupy, remove from the heat.
- Stand the hot sterilised jars (see main story) on a piece of newspaper on the kitchen bench to absorb any splashes.
- Divide the figs evenly between the jars using a slotted spoon to transfer them.
- Top up with syrup and screw on the tops tightly.