Di Holuigue's spiced figs
- Soak the figs overnight in a litre of water mixed with 1 cup salt.
- Drain and stick a clove into each fig. Put the vinegar and 1kg of the sugar in a large saucepan.
- Add the cinnamon stick (broken into 3 or 4 pieces), ginger and allspice.
- Bring to the boil, then add the figs and simmer gently for an hour. Stand overnight.
- Lift out the figs and pack into 3 or 4 sterilised jars.
- Dissolve the remaining sugar in the liquid and boil rapidly to reduce it to a syrupy consistency.
- Pour the liquid into the jars to cover the figs and leave to stand for 1 hour to absorb the syrup.
- Top up as necessary. (NB: there may be leftover liquid.)
- Cover tightly with screw-top lids and allow the flavours to mature for at least a week before serving with meat or duck.