Braised fennel sausages on polenta
|125 ml||Olive oil|
|12||Pork and fennel sausages|
|½ bottle||Red wine|
|1 tin||Chopped tomatoes, 400g|
|1 bunch||Mixed herbs, tied together, such as thyme, rosemary, parsley, bayleaf|
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Cut the onions into wedges, then peel and thinly slice the garlic.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan, then gently cook the onion garlic for 5 minutes.
- Cut the fennel into wedges, then add to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a separate pan on a medium heat, then brown the sausages for about 10 minutes, turning often until they have a good all-over colour. Add the wine and tomatoes and allow the sauce to bubble away for a few moments.
- Arrange the fennel mixture in an ovenproof baking dish (about 32cm diameter and 5cm deep),
then add the sausages and sauce.
- Season with a little salt and pepper. Add the bundle of herbs and cook in the preheated oven for an hour, then turn the heat to 190C and cook for 10 minutes.
- The sauce should be rich and the sausages well browned.
- To make the polenta, first heat the milk and water in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Once simmering, add the polenta in a slow stream, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Change to a wooden spoon and continue to stir for 40-45 minutes over a low heat.
- When the polenta comes away easily from the sides of the pan, it is cooked. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the butter and parmesan. Serve on plates with the braised sausages and sauce on top, accompanied by a rocket salad.