Matakana pumpkin and sausage lasagne
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- To make the béchamel sauce, tip the milk into a saucepan, add the bay leaf and bring to simmering point.
- Turn off the heat and allow the milk to infuse with the bay leaf for 10 minutes. Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and stir in the flour.
- Allow to sizzle gently until the mixture becomes straw-coloured. Slowly add the infused milk, stirring constantly.
- When all the milk is added and the sauce has slightly thickened, add salt and a little nutmeg to taste.
- To assemble the lasagne, take a deep dish (30cm x 30cm) and spread 2 tablespoons of the béchamel sauce across the bottom.
- Lay out 4 sheets of the pasta on this. Spread half the pumpkin on top of the pasta and cover with one third of the béchamel sauce.
- Lay 4 more pasta sheets on top of this layer and place half the sausage slices, half the tomato, some of the herbs and a little lemon.
- Repeat the pumpkin, bechamel and more lasagne sheets, topped with the remaining sausage, herbs, lemon and tomato.
- Finally, cover with the remaining 4 sheets of pasta spread with béchamel and sprinkled with the cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow the lasagne to settle for 10 minutes before serving. Accompany with a green salad.