Thick pea, ham and vegetable soup
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This hearty pea and ham soup is a favourite in our family. This a real stick-to-your-stomach soup, just how food should be on a cold winter's day. You could put the soup through a blender before you put the ham back in, but personally I don't think it's necessary. If it's a little thick for your liking, add a bit of extra stock or water. This soup calls out for some crunchy croutons on the top. Use leftover bread, baked in the oven with a dash of olive oil and a sprinkling of herbs.
- Melt the butter in a large pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, carrot and celery. Sweat for 8-10 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Add the stock, ham, split peas, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone and the peas are soft.
- Remove the hock and pull the meat from the bone, dice and return to the soup.
- Just before serving add freshly chopped parsley. Top each bowl with chunky croutons.