Dean's bush baby leeks and whitestone blue
Photo by Jason Burgess
- Trim the leeks, leaving a good amount of green (if you don't have small leeks, quarter medium sized ones and cut into smaller lengths).
- Wash them well then place in an oven dish.
- Squeeze over some lemon juice, add a little white wine and some chicken stock or water to just cover.
- Add a knob of butter or a splash of oil, season very well with ground pepper and a little salt (the cheese will be salty, so go easy on the salt).
- Cover the dish and bake in a medium oven until the leeks are just tender. Allow them to cool in the liquid.
- To serve, remove the leeks and drain off the stock. Place them on your platter, splash on a bit more oil and lemon juice to dress.
- Crumble the soft blue cheese (or you could use a feta) across the leeks. Add some fine lemon zest if you like, and a grind of pepper.