Grilled sausage skewers
Photo by Tamara West
In season, I would use fresh red pepper (capsicum) but out of season preserved peppers are a great substitute. Two options available in stores are flame roasted red peppers and mild whole sweet piquante peppers. The bay leaves are there for flavour only - discard before eating.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes to help prevent them from burning during grilling.
- Poach sausages in water in a frying pan for 5-7 minutes. Slice each sausage into 4 pieces.
- Meanwhile, preheat a char grill until very hot.
- Thread sausages on the skewers with the bay leaves, onions and peppers. Place on the hot char grill and cook, turning regularly until caramelised.
- Serve skewers drizzled with oil, with lemon wedges and a green salad.
I found large pork, fennel and leek sausages in the butchery at my local supermarket. Substitute for your favourite sausage if these are unavailable to you.