Lemon chicken pot roast
( SERVES 4 )
This Greek-style roasted chicken recipe results in beautifully tender meat.
- Sprinkle the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper and truss it using a long piece of string. First, tie the ankles together, then cross both ends of the string around the body to secure the wings and tie a firm bow. Pat dry and season the outside with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken all over. Meanwhile, put the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in an enamelled cast-iron casserole and add the onion.
- Fry gently until translucent, then add the carrot, celery and basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper before frying gently for a few more minutes. Place the browned chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Use a zester to cut the zest from the lemons and sprinkle over the chicken, together with the squeezed juice. Add the hot water and cover with a firm-fitting lid.
- You can continue to cook the chicken over very gentle heat on top of the stove, or transfer to the oven heated to 140C.
- Cook for 1 hour or more until the chicken is very tender.
- To serve, lift the chicken onto a serving platter and remove the trussing string. Add more lemon juice or seasonings to the sauce if needed. Serve the sauce and vegetables with the chicken. Scatter with a few basil leaves and a lemon wedge for each person.