Larb gai (Thai chicken mince)
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Tamara West
This fresh, spicy salad is a great place to start if you’re new to cooking Thai.
- To toast the rice, put a small pan on medium heat and add uncooked jasmine rice. Stir gently for 8-10 minutes or until it turns an even golden colour.
- Use a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder to grind it into a fine rice powder (if you are using a coffee grinder, ensure the rice has cooled down first). Set aside.
- Put a medium frying pan or wok on a medium-high heat and add oil. Add garlic, lemongrass and chilli and cook for a minute or until fragrant.
- Add chicken, water and fish sauce. Stir well and cook for a further couple of minutes or until the chicken iscooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the heat and add lime juice, red onion, coriander and the ground jasmine rice. Stir well.
- Serve with lettuce leaves or cooked jasmine rice.
You will find all ingredients you need for this recipe at the supermarket. Check out your local Asian supermarket for lemongrass and bunches of coriander at good prices.