Chicken caesar salad
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Caesar salad is a classic, although here I've added tomatoes just because I had them. For me a runny poached - not boiled - egg on top is a must. Take a little time to make this dressing rather than buying one - it's so much better and the flavours just make the salad. You'll often find me in the kitchen dipping croutons into the dressing, it's so delicious. The key to a caesar salad is to use the freshest of ingredients - do that and you can't go wrong.
|2||Chicken breasts, cut into thin strips|
|1 tsp||Tuscan seasoning|
|½||Baguette, cut into 2cm cubes|
|2||Baby cos lettuce, leaves, washed|
|10||Cherry tomatoes, halved|
|¼ cup||Fresh parsley, leaves|
|1 to serve||Shaved parmesan|
- Heat oven to 170C.
- In a small bowl mix 1 Tbsp oil with the chicken and herbs.
- Heat a frying pan to a medium heat, fry the chicken for 4 or 5 minutes or until cooked. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining oil with the baguette cubes and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden.
- To make the dressing, put the egg in a blender. Add garlic, mustard and anchovies. Slowly add oil while the blender is running.
- Add lime juice and parmesan, and blitz until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken, cos leaves and tomatoes into four bowls. Toss through the dressing.
- Place croutons, a poached egg, parsley and shaved parmesan on top. Serve immediately.