Roast vegetable salad with tahini and yoghurt dressing
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Pearl barley is quick and simple to cook but reassuringly nourishing. Usually added to soups and stews, it's equally delicious tossed through a salad for added texture and flavour. I love the way it soaks up the dressing. First, however, toss your vegetables in a mix of spices then roast in the oven. Once done, add the spinach, barley and fresh, flavoursome dressing, and you're away.
|200 g||Pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm chunks|
|½ cup||Pearl barley|
|2||Parsnips, peeled and cut lengthways|
|200 g||Baby carrots|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Red onion, sliced|
|100 g||Baby spinach|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Place the pearl barley in salted boiling water and cook for 25 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- Line an ovenproof tray with baking paper and add the pumpkin, parsnip and carrots.
- Mix to coat with the cumin, coriander, paprika and oil.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, then add the onion and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Remove and cool.
- To make the dressing, combine the yoghurt, lemon juice, tahini, honey, garlic and parsley in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Toss the vegetables through the spinach and pearl barley.
- Place on a serving platter and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the dressing.