Roasted lamb rump with baked root vegetables
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Rub the lamb with plenty of salt, pepper and a tablespoon of olive oil. Peel the vegetables and cut into large chunks.
- Place the lamb in a large roasting pan with the remaining olive oil.
- Add the vegetables and coat well with the oil. Sprinkle over the rosemary leaves and more salt and pepper.
- Put the pan with the lamb and the vegetables in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes at 200C, then reduce the temperature to 180C.
- Allow the vegetables and lamb to bake for 40-50 minutes more, occasionally turning and basting them in the juices and oil.
- Take the pan from the oven when the meat is cooked but still juicy and slightly pink and place on a serving dish to allow the meat to rest and the juices to be reabsorbed.
- Surround the lamb with the roasted vegetables and cover with foil while you make a gravy.
- Deglaze the pan by placing it on a heated stove element, adding the lamb stock and stirring.
- Keep stirring to release the residue on the bottom of the pan and simmer to reduce the juices until sticky and thick.
- Pour over the meat and vegetables and serve at once.