Asian-spiced Valrhona Chocolate Sauce with Seasonal Fruits served with Handmade Green-tea Mint Ice Cream
Photo by Charlie Smith/Lauren Freeman
Chef Makoto Tokuyama, co-owner of Cocoro restaurant, has a talent for artfully blending the best of Japanese gastronomy with the finest locally sourced and unmistakably New Zealand ingredients. The results are sublime. As regulars of chef Tokuyama’s elegant, multi-award-winning dining room, Simply You Living has asked him to create, exclusively for us, a feast we could prepare for family and friends.
Green-tea Mint Ice Cream
|60 g||White sugar|
|55 g||Eggs, yolk only|
|6 g||Matcha (green tea) powder|
|6 g||Mint leaves, chopped|
Valrhona Chocolate Sauce
- Beat egg yolk in hot water bath. Add 20g of white sugar and mix well.
- Pour cream, milk, remaining sugar and vanilla pod into a pot. Heat and mix well until vanilla flavour moves to the liquid.
- Slowly pour cream mixture into egg mixture. Mix. Pour into a saucepan followed by refined green-tea powder and chopped mint leaf.
- Heat until the egg causes mixture to thicken a bit. Strain mixture, cool, then place in the freezer.
- Once frozen, beat in a food processor or blender to make it creamy. Freeze again before serving.
Chocolate Sauce with Fruits
- Dissolve chocolate in hot water bath. Put cream, milk, orange peel, ginger and cinnamon into a saucepan. Heat on low until the spices’ fragrances move to the cream and milk. Set aside to cool.
- Strain. Pour strained mixture into melted chocolate little by little and mix well.