Dulcie’s sultana cake
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
This sultana cake will keep for up to 2 weeks in an airtight tin. To serve, cut into small squares - recipe makes about 30-40 pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 150C. Prepare a 20cm square cake tin by lining the bottom and sides with 2 layers of baking paper.
- Put the sultanas in a saucepan, add enough water to cover them well, then bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain well in a sieve, then let the fruit cool.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, while continuing to beat.
- Fold in the lemon and orange zest with the vanilla and almond essences. Add the flour with the warm water and the drained sultanas and mix with a metal spoon until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for an hour. Test with a skewer. Once it comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin before turning out. It will keep for up to 2 weeks in an airtight tin. To serve, cut into small squares.